Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dippy Dudes, New Whackadoos and How DO You Do!

Hey there, Stitchers!  Nick the Stitch here and very, very much better since this past weekend (at least sleep-wise).  I hope you're enjoying this number-12-obsession day, and staying productive.  Things here are pretty awesome and they're looking better every day.

So here's some stuff you might want to know about...

Renningers: It was fun, the other vendors were amazing (I was right across the walkway from a guitarist named Mel Jenkins, if anyone knows if this guy really did play with other major bands, PLEASE email me the link so I can read it... he challanged me to Google and YouTube him and -- like a retired research librarian -- I Googled, YouTube'd and Wiki'd him, nothing showed up) and the variety of stuff sold was wide.


All in all a good time, sold a couple small things.  The weather was beautiful.  And we really were waiting for you to hang out with us.  By "we" I mean myself and Tuna Lick from Project Asylum.


I hadn't decided about coming back this weekend, but after I sat down with my collab effort partner Marylin from Second Chances Art, we are ready to roll when Renningers calls us back to set things up.  At this point, we may have two different booths (one Saturday, one on Sunday), but hey, if I can get back there, that'd be great.  And hey, even if you don't buy from SCA or NTS at the market, just come out to Mount Dora anyway, there's plenty to see and do.

Whackadoo v.02: Back in early September or so, I built a toy that I loved when I was really, really young, like 5 years old or so.  Essentially, it was a raised platform with a couple colored pegs that you hammered into the platform, flipped the platform, and hammered them again, and repeat.  Personally, I thought at the time it was the neatest thing since sliced bread.  My dad, however, might've disagreed with it... especially after a hard day at the office.

So I'm bringing back the traditional hand-eye-coordination-boosting toy for the 21st Century, the Whackadoo Version 2.  And it's a blast to build, especially now that I have a drill press that drives some pretty tight holes compared to Version 1.  At the moment they are ready to roll, but here's a raw-assembled pic to give you some idea of it...


We'll definitely be having these guys at the next booth event, either this weekend (if the stars align properly) or next weekend (if the world doesn't end first, which unfortunately for Pat Robertson, it won't).

Dippy Ducks: The name alone inspires the bygone days of Hoppalong Cassidy and wonderful wooden kid toys, usually pulled, pushed or ATV'd.  They are, in fact, ducks.  They do, thanks to simple engineering, dip.  And they stay, very happily, upright.  Back at St. Theresa's Kris Kringle Festival, there were a couple kids who had animal pull-toys, but they only rolled and they usually fell over at the slightest turn.  So Marylin and I got together and we figured out a more exciting and interactive toy, hence Dippy Ducks.

One of the things Tuna Lick and I noticed at Renningers was the sheer number of kids and young kids there.  So, especially with the holidays coming up and we all know a couple parents who are looking for an inexpensive and captivating toy to get, we're banking on the success of that appeal to help save the holidays.  And... if the Ducks are as successful as we hope they'll be, there will definitely be MORE Dippy Dudes.

I don't have a good photo of them right now, as they're in assembly stage, but tomorrow evening I should have an update for them.  All I can say right now is wow, I can really rock a saber saw.

On that note, I'm going to call it a night.  Thank you all for your patience, and if you get a chance just hit SCA's store and just give me feedback on the various products there, what you want gone, and what kinds of things you might like to see on there.  No sales pitch -- I would just like to hear what you have on your mind.  That's all, thanks.

Stay awesome!

-Nick The Stitch
NickTheStitch@Gmail.com
614-321-5009

No comments:

Post a Comment