Friday, November 16, 2012

Wood Chisels -- FTW!

Hey Stitchers!  Nick The Stitch here and boy has it been a fun day!  Got a lot done, and a bit more to do before we get to the final assembly stage of the grandfather-style wood wall clock.  Hope you're having an awesome weekend so far, and feel free to crack open a cold one for me.

No, seriously, give me a beer.  I'm in the mood to celebrate.  And I'm not using power tools right now, so I'm safe.

Anyhoo.

Managed to get the side slabs chiseled out, courtesy of those wonderful three tools I got at Lowes for $10 and a hammer I've had for years.  Okay, here's something you should probably know right off the bat about them.  It's not exactly a good idea to use a normal hammer on a wood chisel handle end, because apparently it does a great job of marring and denting the handle butt.  However, given that the chisels were $10 for the set and I needed firepower, it worked out fine.  But if I could find a wood mallet capable of doing the same job, the handle butts wouldn't be so badly spanked.

I mentioned that I used to coping saw ($8 at Lowes, $2.50 for a set of 6 extra blades) to clean up the notches on the horizontal slabs, so here's what it looks like all pretty and everything...


...which looks a lot better than what I started with, after the saber saw.

Now, about the chisels... they may be cheap.  They may not come in big sets.  But when used properly and with a LOT of patience, they can be very, very good at what they do... see for yourself...


...plus, here's what it can look like with a better perspective to show depth control....


Here's a handy tip, if you decide to do something like this... if you have a piece that you're going to chisel (if you don't have access to a router) all the way across, after you mark where the sides of the slot are going to be, use a backsaw (otherwise known as a miter saw, you should be able to pick up a saw/miter box combo at Lowes for about $12-15) and PATIENTLY work the cut to your desired depth.  Then just chisel out the slot straight through (preferrably with a jig or a jig workstation, like the one I have or something you can set up with 2 C-clamps).

You could also do that if you weren't going completely across, but it's a bit more time-consuming -- but it can be done!  Patience and focus are key.

So tomorrow I get to paint and stain the slabs, weather accomodating of course, after I clean up the slots with a sanding block.  Don't get me wrong, the chisels do a great job at what the do, but sometimes things fit better when the surfaces are really smooth and even.

Hope you're enjoying this as much as I am.  Can't wait to get started on that computer desk in the next week or so... that's going to be fun!  In the meantime, stay awesome!

-Nick The Stitch
NickTheStitch@Gmail.com
http://www.behance.net/projectasylum
http://www.etsy.com/shop/nickthestitch
614-321-5009

No comments:

Post a Comment