Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A woodcrafter walks into a bar...

... and says to the bartender, "OW!"

Okay, Stitchers, so that wasn't as funny for you, but I was the bartender!  ROFL!  Hey, you have to have a sense of humor to get through life, I mean cmon it could be worse, look at the platypus!  What is it, a duck?  A beaver?  A mammal?  Don't ever give him a multiple-option question, he'll be at it all day!

Anyhoo...

So yesterday, I promised photos of what I had done with the grandfather-style wall clock, except that the Powers That Be decided not to let my phone download them directly to my computer and instead I had to email them from my phone.  That sucked.  The work didn't.  In fact, take a peek at the pre-sanding of the wood pieces...

 
 
...and yes, that is a late-70's/early-80's-era, B&D electric pad sander.  Two-handed capability, though it was nimble enough to respond to one-handed use (but it does amazing stuff if you use two hands).
 
I got my hands on it when a neighbor's son a few years older than me was cleaning out his dad's old workshed that had a lot of powertools that apparently were kept in good running condition.  So Roy was seeing me struggling the week before to cut stuff with a mere saber saw off the concrete patio and was like "oh hell no, this ain't gonna work for him", and he gave me a bandsaw, the sander, the jig station you also see in the photo on the far left, and some parts like washers, pegs, and a huge storage bin with more types of things in there than I can figure out.  So Roy, if you're reading this, your dad was an amazing woodworker and I will do my best to make sure to keep them running well enough to hand down to another kid starting out.
 
Ever wonder why you see workers who are sanding concrete, stone, clay or wood always wearing a dust mask or respirator, even with a great ventilation system?  Check out the post-sanding pic...
 
 
Yep.  A LOT of dust and particulates.  And when you're reclaiming wood, you have no idea what's in the dust either, so if you do anything with that type of wood, either do it outside and wear a mask or just WEAR A MASK.  You do not want to be coughing up this crud for several weeks.  I did that once right before I quit working with clay, and now anytime I do stuff like that, I wear the masks.
 
So tomorrow, I plan to shoot my next stage (already in progress, due to my phone's insanity) where I'm using wood chisels to route grooves the various parts will fit into.  Oh, and I might photo my coping saw along with a part that I used it on to clean out the corner notches.  When I make the dovetails for the computer desk, that coping saw will be perfect, and I will explain why in the next post.
 
In the meantime, stay awesome and keep getting your groove on!  Until next time!
 
-Nick The Stitch
 

No comments:

Post a Comment