Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Difference of Folks on ROAKs

Hey Stitchers!  Nick The Stitch here with a really cool story to share with you, because it's just more important than any product release or anything technical that would just bore you to tears otherwise.  So I'd like to share a ROAK (random act of kindness) that happened this morning, courtesy of a really cool neighbor.

I have to admit, I am a city folk.  I lived in hustle and bustle, the rush and flow of the now now now, always chasing the buck.  Don't get me wrong, I've experienced country life and camping, but not as much as I'd like to.  In fact, if I had the chance, I'd find a small, comfy house surrounded by about 2 square miles of pure forest, just to get away from the world.

Circumstances made me relocate from Fort Lauderdale, Florida (a hub of hubbub) to the restful area of Summerfield, FL; my now-ex-fiancee was reneging (sp?) on a lot of promises she made and focused everything she and I did around her son, who physically assaulted me without getting punished, and also my folks needed an extra hand around the house and gardens.  So on a pure whim, I packed up and headed to North Central Florida back at the end of January.

Over the past 9 months, I've learned a lot of things about real people.  Granted, everyone keeps to themselves around here, but they also keep an eye for when a neighbor or friend needs help, whether it's building something, taking down something, maintaining something, stepping up to bat for a sick neighbor, that sort.  They do it without thinking twice, and they know who's got credibility and who doesn't.

In the country, a man's reputation is his credit score.  In the city, it's the opposite.

So what am I talking about with this ROAK from this morning?  Glad you asked.

I've been wanting to get some major power tools -- namely a band saw, scroll saw, table saw, drill press, better work table, etc. -- for several months, but having a limited income with a lot of debts to pay off (which I'm not complaining about at all for two reasons: 1) I made the debt, it's mine to deal with, and 2) Robert Kiyasaki of "Rich Dad Poor Dad" once said he enjoys having creditors because it gives him a reason to get up and work every morning) it's not easy but it is doable.  All in all, I was looking at about $1200 of equipment, new.

So I was talking to one of my neighbors, Ray, whom I have helped on numerous occasions moving stuff and watering his huge gardens while he was OOT for 3 weeks, and he offered me his drill press that he wasn't using (he had a cast iron one that he was using instead) for $20.  Something like that goes for a lot more, and he also offered some of his templates and scrap wood if I needed.

This morning, at breakfast, another neighbor, Roy (there's like 3 R's as neighbors, and at one time two Dee's), stops by and over the course of about an hour, traded me several pieces of his dad's equipment and building parts for helping his mom with raking up the leaves in her yard.  Apparently he had seen me making the Rustic Wall Clock and figured I could use a band saw and a sander (which actually, yes, I could), and so he wanted the machines put to good use since he didn't need them.

At this point of the day, I'm letting the WD-40 soak into the gears so it'll lube up, and in the morning I'm going to finish refurbing the machines.  But just the idea that Roy and Ray would do what they do, no questions asked, no prodding, just because they like how I operate, it's really, really giving me hope that maybe humanity isn't entirely cold at heart.

I'm just having a really great day, and I thought I'd share it with you.  Sound off if you've had a tremendous ROAK happen that helped you with the things you do.

In the meantime, stay awesome.  And love thy neighbor, because they might return the favor someday.

-Nick The Stitch
NickTheStitch@Gmail.com
614-321-5009

No comments:

Post a Comment